Monday, June 10, 2013

fairy godfather


Some days I wish God was my fairy godmother… in correct terms I guess I should say, fairy godfather. I wish He could show up in the midst of my circumstances, wave a magic wand and things would turn out just the way I want them to. I’d call the shots. Even if He would just show up and grant me 3 wishes, all would be right with the world, right?  Wrong. This mindset of mine assumes that I know what’s best. Which is a big fat lie. Even if I knew what was best, my flesh is so strong that I would likely struggle to actually do what is best. So if God isn’t my fairy godfather, and He doesn’t give me wishes, what does He do? This question has rattled through my head a lot over the past 2 weeks.

First, He enters into my suffering. God Himself put on the clothing of humanity and walked around on earth for 33 years. Jesus knows what disappointment feels like. Jesus knows what betrayal feels like. Jesus knows what pain feels like. Because Jesus has entered into my suffering, when I feel down, I can remember that I am not alone; I have a perfect companion along with me, holding my hand as I face each day’s challenges.

Second, in the midst of uncertainty, instead of fixing my problems, God reminds me of my identity. Because my identity is in Christ, nothing about my circumstances can change who I am. I am wholly and dearly loved. I am redeemed. I am free. I am richly given grace. I am hidden in Christ. I share in His inheritance. Nothing can change my identity, instead, The Lord gently reminds me of who I am and what He thinks of me. My immediate circumstances do not change, but instead, I am changed; changed into a woman confident of how God is working and how He will continue to work.

Wishes can be wished, but the constant companionship of Jesus is incomparable. Instead of having a fairy godfather, I have a heavenly Father who is willing to jump into my suffering with me – He doesn’t save me from it, He reminds of who I am and who He is in the midst of it. Unlike a limited number of wishes, Jesus says to me, “I will be with you always, until the very end of the age” (Matthew 28). 

No comments:

Post a Comment